Farming Investment Fund Open for Applications
After a very long wait, the Farming Investment Fund is now open for applications, with a very short deadline!
The scheme has two elements; the 'Farming Equipment and Technology Fund' and the 'Farming Transformation Fund'.
The Farming Equipment and Technology Fund
This fund is very similar to the previous Small Grant Scheme, and provides grants for lower value items of equipment, technology, and small infrastructure investments from a set list. There is a minimum grant of £2,000 and a £50,000 limit per farm for the duration of the scheme with a £25,000 limit per round. Any funding received under the Small Grant Scheme does not count towards your allowance under this fund. Unlike the small grant scheme, Contractors can also apply if they have a registered business address in England. Contractors are defined as a business (including a sole trader) that carries out an agricultural, horticultural or forestry activity as a service.
There is a significant list of 120 items available, and we have summarised some of the most relevant items below:
Resource Management Items:
- Rainwater Harvesting.
- UV Water Treatment.
- Robotic slurry collectors/pushers.
- Slurry separators.
- Slurry application equipment.
- Milk cooling equipment.
Precision and Analysis Items:
- Direct Drills.
- Variable rate controllers for sprayers and fertiliser spreaders.
- Tractor mounted Nitrogen measuring equipment.
Livestock Handling and Weighing Items:
- Mobile/Fixed cattle and sheep handling systems.
- Cattle Crush (including automatic, hydraulic and foot trimming crushes).
- EID readers and automatic drafting equipment.
- Weigh Cells.
Other Livestock Items:
- Automated Footbaths (cattle).
- Robotic Silage pushers.
- Chemical-free (ozone-based) disinfectant systems for dairy farms.
- Heat detection aids.
- Automatic calf feeders (and additional feed stations).
- Mobile milk pasteuriser and dispenser.
- Tube ventilation systems.
- Cameras to monitor livestock (Including thermal imaging cameras)
- Cattle, youngstock and goat brushes.
- Automatic vaccination and drenching guns.
A full list of items on offer can be found here
The application window is now open and will run until 7th of January 2022.
Applications for the fund are expected to be very competitive, DEFRA will be scoring applications based on the benefits to: Farm productivity, health and welfare of animals and the environmental benefits – particularly biodiversity.
If your application is successful, you will be able to purchase the item and claim reimbursement using the receipt. This must be completed by 30th September 2022.
The Farming Transformation Fund
The Farming Transformation Fund consists of higher value grants to support more complex investments. DEFRA aim to cover several “themes” with this scheme and today released information regarding their first theme – Water Management. This scheme is open now for applications and will close on 12 January 2022.
This scheme has a maximum grant available of £500,000 (minimum £35,000) and is again, competitively funded.
The Water Management Theme aims to improve: Productivity, water sustainability and the environment. DEFRA will look to fund projects which help secure water supplies or improve efficiency of using water for irrigation.
This could be achieved by:
- Moving away from rain gun applicators to trickle/boom application.
- Constructing on-farm reservoirs to move away from summer water abstraction.
- Installing efficient irrigation systems to increase yield or introduce high-value crops.
- Encourage collaboration between neighbouring farmers.
If you are interested in applying for funding under this scheme, please get in touch and we will check your eligibility.
DEFRA aim to release future themes and grants in the coming months. Based on previous statements, we could expect these themes to be based on:
- Precision agriculture equipment (for example, low emission and variable-rate nutrient or pesticide application).
- Robotic or automated technology.
- Equipment and technology for storing, sorting, or processing products.
With a small window of application it is vital to get started on applications straight away. For help with applications or for more information, please get in touch with your usual consultant.
The Kelly Farm Consulting Team
Sam Kelly 07777 696080 firstname.lastname@example.org
Charlie Davies 07904 601104 email@example.com
Pete Kelly 07970 942668 firstname.lastname@example.org
Office 01454 614624